Kantar Worldwide have released figures for the 12 weeks ending 11th September 2016. Dunnes Stores have seen notable growth and are now Ireland’s second favourite Supermarket, a feat they share with Tesco as they both lie in joint second. SuperValu remain top and command a current market share of 22.4%, the third consecutive month where growth has been above 3% for the Irish retailer.
- Dunnes Stores increased sales by 6.3% to draw level with Tesco.
- Dunnes and Tesco now account for 21.6% each of the Irish grocery market.
- Sales within Grocery continue to grow, up 3.7% year on year during the past 12 weeks.
- Lidl’s market share now stands at 11.7% – in line with last year – while sales increased by 4.5%
- Sales growth for Aldi continues to improve, with market share increasing from 11.2% last year to 11.4%.
Director of Kantar Worldwide David Berry expanded on the figures saying “Larger trips have boosted sales for Dunnes, with the average spend increasing by €2.50 to €37.20 in the latest quarter, compared with the same time last year. Dunnes has successfully tempted shoppers to add more expensive items to their baskets, with the average price per item rising to €2.05 – an increase of 12% on last year.”
All figures from Kantar Worldwide.