Services Officer – Houses of the Oireachtas
Services Officers in the Office of the Houses of the Oireachtas Service are responsible for providing a safe and secure environment for a number of entry points in the Leinster House complex and satellite buildings and carry out a wide range of support activities such as distribution of post and dealing with deliveries. Services Officers are in regular contact with a variety of people on a daily basis from Members of Parliament to members of the general public and therefore are required to have good interpersonal and communications skills and the capacity to deal with difficult situations.
While not an exhaustive list the main duties of the role are outlined below:
Facilitate the smooth running of reception areas
- Staffing of Reception areas and responding to general requests.
- Demonstrating good judgment when responding to varied queries raised while on duty.
- Dealing with queries from colleagues and visitors in a prompt and courteous manner.
- Dealing with deliveries of post and other items.
- Familiarity with the functions/ business of the Service with the ability to locate relevant staff/ sections quickly and swiftly direct queries to the appropriate part of organisation.
- Acting in a professional manner as a front facing member of staff of the reception team that outside officials or members of the public will come into contact with the ability to handle challenging/difficult situations when the need arises while on duty.
- Be competent and capable of dealing and assisting with visitors and staff who may require special needs assistance.
Basic security duties
- Services Officers may be required to hold the keys of official premises on an on-going basis (24 hour, 7 days a week) with responsibility for opening/closing the premises and arranging after-hours access. A separate allowance is paid to officers undertaking this role. However, all Services officers should be willing and able to undertake this role if and when required.
- Demonstrate sound judgement and be capable of dealing with difficult situations where the course of action can be unclear.
- Operation of any security equipment such as c.c.t.v., scanners, radios, as required.
- Identification and reporting of any concerns when opening/ closing buildings e.g. bomb threats or suspicious devices. Officers are required to attend any training in this regard.
- Capable of carrying out a safety search of buildings in the event of relevant threats.
- Familiarity with and capable of executing all duties, checks and reports as set out in Fire Safety Register, including fire alarm monitoring.
- Capable of assisting and managing emergency evacuations.
Health and Safety
- Familiarity with Health and Safety Statement and procedures therein, especially those in relation to the Service Officer duties.
- Competent at identifying hazards occurring in access/egress areas and taking action to return situation to a safe standard.
- Compiling incident reports after they occur and forward to the Captain of the Guard.
Building Maintenance Systems
- Familiarity with each building’s utility services (gas, electricity, water) to be able to carry out lockdowns and opening up of buildings.
- Familiarity with utility systems to be able to pass critical safety information to emergency services in the event of a fire or flood.
- Reception of post and sorting of incoming post and sorting and sealing of outgoing post.
- Maintenance of records concerning post. Arranging transport for dispatch of heavy parcels.
- Franking of mail if required.
- Ensuring the accurate and timely receipt and transmission of internal and external correspondence.
- Operation of office equipment and machines including offset printers, duplicating machines, photocopiers, shredders, mailing equipment and various others.
Operating telephone switchboard where necessary
- Attendance on telephone switchboard where required.
- Demonstration of sound judgement when responding to varied queries on telephone switches, with the capability to handling difficult phone calls in an appropriate where required.
Paperkeeper duties (where required)
- Control of supplies and stationery
- Registration and circulation of files
- Registration and circulation of other papers
Flexibility regarding other Support Activities that may arise
- Maintenance of office machinery
- Moving office furniture and equipment
- Assisting with the setup of meeting rooms as required.
- Operation of multimedia and communications equipment.
- Outdoor work at some locations.
- Raising and lowering of flags if required in accordance with protocol for same
The principal reporting relationship is with the Head Services Officer and Deputy Head Services Officer. The work of a Services Officer at times requires contact with Deputies, Senators and other Oireachtas/departmental staff.
A panel may be formed from this competition from which future permanent, part-time and temporary positions, should they arise, may be filled for candidates who successfully meet the requirements of the role.
- Must have a minimum of two years’ experience in a similar role that required working with others in a professional environment.
- Be fluent in English (oral and written)
- A proven track record of working efficiently both independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrate personal responsibility, dependability and judgement which is required for ensuring the security of buildings and the smooth running of reception areas.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with a wide variety of people in a professional and courteous manner, including when under pressure or in difficult situations.
- Strong communications skills including the use of ICT equipment.
- The ability to write incident reports.
- A standard of physical fitness which would allow for the collection and delivery of correspondence both internally and externally and the operation, maintenance and movement of office machinery and equipment.
- Strong organisational and time management skills and have the proven ability to work to tight deadlines.
- The requisite knowledge and ability to discharge the duties of the position.
If you would like to apply for this Services Officer post, please download the attached Application Form and Information Booklet. Once the application form is completed you can send it via email to Laurence@excelrecruitment.com. If you cannot download a copy of the application form or information booklet, please send a request to the email address above and we will email a copy to you.