Supermarket sales grew by 4.6% for the 12 weeks ending March 27th, versus the same period last year. Kantar Worldwide figures show that the earlier Easter period heavily impacted Irish Grocery Retail. An additional €40million was pumped through supermarkets resulting in hikes in specific trends.
- Sales of Fresh produce grew by 11% versus the same period 2015.
- Crisps and snacks grew by 12%
- Confectionary and snacks extending by 32% to coincide with the Easter period.
- 69% of shoppers bought at least one Easter egg.
SuperValu again have retailed their spot as the preferred supermarket of Irish consumers.
- Market share grew to 24.9%
- Sales increase of 5%
Kantar Worldwide Director David Berry said ‘’Tesco posted sales growth for the fourth consecutive month as their performance continues to improve.’’ Dunnes Stores also increased their per trolley spend by €3 year on year.